Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Work vs Life via James Victore

"Work vs. Life.

There’s a lot of talk out there about balance, and finding just the right amount of it when it comes to work and life.

The actuality is– there is no “right” amount, and there is no magic answer out there. The best you can do is to look inside yourself for the answer that feels right for you. And at different times in your life you’ll need different answers. So don’t get hung up on other people’s ideas of what the “perfect balance” is. There ain’t no rules. It’s not black and white.

The world is much bigger than that. There is room enough for whatever you want to do or make—its big enough to set your own ideas of success. So make your own rules, and ask yourself, "What is my own idea of success?"

I’ve often thought, “How much more advanced in my career would I be if I had stayed single and never had kids?” The answer is that I probably would be a bit further down the road professionally, more hooked-up… and I’d be extremely depressed.

I have had two (count ‘em two) exhibitions at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, but do those increase my daily happiness or give me lasting relationships? Nope. It doesn’t even get me a discount for the subway.

At the end of the day, it’s family and friends and the quality of life lived that counts… and bragging about how much time you spend at work shows a lack of commitment to your life. The “right balance” is up to you. Be brave, get deeply honest with yourself, and get to the heart of the matter. My guess is you’ll always choose life.

Now get out there and give ‘em hell"

- James Victore

No comments:

Post a Comment